And we started looking for a resource for my project. Basically our requirement was not to get a rocket scientist rather to get a good developer with basic knowledge in java/j2ee and computer technology. The resumes I got for screening are really awesome, I remember I got four resume and all of them have more than 7 yrs of exp. I really felt lucky that we are going to get a java Gurus and I was feeling lucky for that. Our codebase was really in a bad shape. Generally it should be , because within last two years, three developers (hmmm, I think more than three have already put their hand in the code) have worked on the same code base. Anyway, my intention is not to highlight anything wrong, rather I just wanted to pen my experience , I mean how it impacts in case you got a bad resource for your team and management is too much flexible of handling any issue. This reminds me one news where one space craft crashed because of mistake by a worker while designing harness. Good that I am not into rocket science and rather I am just maintaining a web application, that to a simple web application with no credit card transaction. So I got ready to interview all candidates and select one with good exposure to IT environment. As usual with my interview style, I just prepared with basic questions to be asked. Also bit nervous because they are all 7+ yrs of exp holders. So I just prepared myself in previous day of interview.
As usual, we got our first candidate for interview and he is a good guy and dressed quite well. I really appreciate his business etiquette. He gave his introduction and it was really impressible thought a bit of communication gap. But who cares, we dont need a marketing manager or sales head , but we need a technologist. SO it is fine even he know basic English as long as he can communicate by mail or verbally. Then it is my turn to ask some technical questions. I found that he is good a common questions, but when it comes to some micro level question like "what is singleton class", then he fails poorly. That is fine, I thought maybe he has forgotten but is it really forgettable? Then I asked some more question....and slowly slowly I realized that this guy does not know basic of java programming and only remembered how to answer common questions. Then I started taking interview for other three candidates. To my utter surprise, non of them are up to the mark which can impress an interviewer. Candidates are not expected to answer all questions but as an interviewer, we should be satisfied. But there is no point to get satisfied by the answers given by these four candidates.
Anyway as our requirements were quite urgent so instead of interviewing more candidates, my manager decided to choose one out of these four. Though I was not agreed to non of them, but I have no other way to choose one. Because this one at least answered most of the common questions. I thought, maybe this guy is good at programming. So we recruited one and I am quite not satisfied but at least, was happy because we can expedite the work.
.....Now comes real fun when the guy joined in our team and started development. And I really rather we really had a tough time managing the application as well as code base. The new developer does not have good programming knowledge. It was really a tough time, when we have database connection issue, memory issue.
I will again add some more into it... till then please put your valuable comments, in case you also faced with same situation especially when recruiting in USA.
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment