Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Server environment and how to choose
We are recently trying to upgrade our production server. We were not sure whether to go with Linux or Windows. I spent quite lots of time configuring Linux server, that includes configuring Samba, VNCserver etc... At last when it came to choose to finalize the one, its really a challenging decision. In my experience, I have never come across any kind of linux related work. All my work purely on windows environment and after working for around couple of months in Linux, I think I like Linux very much. We had two server, brand new server, once is installed with Linux and other is installed with Windows. The processors in both the servers are defective(http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&objectID=c01955503) but however Windows was running all successfully without showing any sign of error at the beginning but Linux was continuously automatically restarting itself in every hour or so. I just enabled kdump in linux and after restart, the kdump was exactly showing the problem that a processor is defective. So I am in favor of linux, the reason is its freeware and at the same time I also do some work on java with linux at my home. We really had lots of issues with Windows in the past, sometimes out of memeory , some issues that definitely come up with Windows. Whereas some of team member, they generally go by convenience of use and they think how best we can use the system without using the brain. In fact there are some instances people really force the management to take a decision in their favor whenever they think that they are in a critical position in the project and whatever they will ask, the management will agree on their demands. Whereas I generally prefer how best the tools could be used in long run that can enhance the expectation of customers. Many times I am quite proactive on this but this time I thought to leave the matter with the team, team means couple of peoples those always look out for easiest way to accomplish the task. Anyway, out of all elaboration and argument for linux, its finally decided to go with Windows. Though I am not that much worried about the decision, but at the same time I am bit concerned that though people always look for the best whereas our team in the other way around. If team is happy then I am also happy and I am not different from team. I am sure with windows as the production server, some issues would definitely come in the coming days. So all the best to your selection...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment